The Taft Museum of Art is a historic house museum holding a fine art collection. It is on the National Register of Historic Places listings in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio and is a contributing property to the Lytle Park Historic District.
The Taft house was first built for Martin Baum and then was the residence of Nicholas Longworth. David Sinton lived in the house with his daughter Anna, who married Charles Phelps Taft, the half-brother of President William Howard Taft. The Tafts lived in the house from 1873 until 1929. William H. Taft accepted his presidential nomination there from its portico in 1908. The Tafts were avid art collectors. They turned their home into a museum, and donated their Greek Revival house and the collection of art that filled it to the people of Cincinnati in 1927. In the Tafts’ deed of gift they stated, “We desire to devote our collection of pictures, porcelains, and other works of art to the people of Cincinnati in such a manner that they may be readily available for all.” The Taft Museum opened to the public on November 29, 1932.
- City Attraction Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
- Fully Accessible Entry: No
- Accessible Restrooms Onsite: Yes
- Restrictive Steps: Yes
Jim’s Accessibility Comments:
The Taft Museum is a beautiful historic art museum and wheelchair accessible, but it’s not very wheelchair friendly. There are multiple steps so they provide 2 small hydralic lifts on the property which provide relatively full access. The best entry is to park in the 60 space garage in a handicapped space and take the elevator up to 1st floor. The side driveway entrance/exit requires use of a small hydralic lift to 1st floor. The are couple steps on the 2nd floor between the 2 art galleries, however, they provide another small hydralic lift for access. There is a normal elevator between the 1st and 2nd floor. There are a couple wheelchair accessible restrooms.