In 1998 Seattle voters gave the go-ahead to an ambitious building program that included improvements to all 22 branches of The Seattle Public Library, plus construction of four new branches. The same $196.4 million “Libraries for All” bond issue also made possible the 11-level Central Library that opened its doors at 1000 Fourth Ave. in May of 2004 – the third Central Library to occupy that same city block.
Though the location didn’t change, much did. Today the Central Library sports a contemporary look and feel that is innovative in both form and function. Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas and former Seattleite Joshua Ramus were principal designers on the project, working closely with the Library’s board, staff and the public during its development phase.