The de Young Museum, also known as the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, is a fine arts museum located in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. It is named for early San Francisco newspaperman M. H. de Young.
The de Young Museum originated as the Fine Arts Building, which was constructed in Golden Gate Park for the California Midwinter International Exposition in 1894. The chair of the exposition organizing committee was Michael H. de Young, co-founder of the San Francisco Chronicle. The Fine Arts Building was designed in a pseudo-Egyptian Revival style and decoratively adorned with images of Hathor, the cow goddess.